This was a picture that my daughter Rylie and I drew together while sitting outside at the beach one day. She started with a very loose pencil sketch of her idea and spent about 10 minutes on the subject and composition. I then went back over her pencils with a fine inking pen to solidify the piece and used the same amount of time.
At the end this completed drawing turned out as a nice exercise for both of us. A total of 20 minutes spent on a rather quick drawing of what could be a very nice day out on the ocean.
This is an image design I put together recently which can be easily applied for T-Shirts and or other options. This was created using Clip Studio Paint with a multilayer process. I find that Clip Studio Paint is my choice for drawing almost anything digitally. I like the flexibility that it offers.
I began the design by building the frame of the shield first using a curve tool and polyline tool in tandem. Once I got the lines where they needed to be, I then locked the layer so I didn’t accidently select and change it.
The next layer I made was the text layer which was created first in Microsoft PowerPoint and then exported into Clip Studio Paint as a .jpg file. I was then very easily able to manipulate the text where it needed to be within the shield. While I think Clip Studio Paint has a lot of capability for script text in comics, I have a hard time using the text tool for anything else.
After my text was layed in, the next layer was the skull itself. I drew it using a pen tool and specifically, the for effect line tool. This gave the skull a nice thick to thin line and added nicely to the character of the piece.
Now for the colors. The last part of the project was the colors. I did these as separate layers as well. I should have created layer folders for each but I instead gave each layer it’s own layer in one large folder.
The first color I applied were the flats of the shield. These were then saved and locked. I then selected the flats after creating a new layer to do the fine lines, detailing, and shadows. The selection tool allowed me to detail these areas without having to “go outside the lines”.
Finally, I did the same process for the Skull and added a generic flag. the glow on the Skulls eye was creating using the urchin tool. Prior to having the client approve the piece, I added a 35% fade. This is a cool effect which allows the shirt design to better blend into the color of the T-Shirt. It helps to know what color shirt you will place this on prior to colorization though. A quick background layer also provides the blending necessary so you don’t end up with a box around the design on the shirt. I save my files as high resolution 6000 x 6000 350 dpi .png files.
A Weekend drawing to set the week right. This was inspired by some trees I saw while out and about yesterday. Some of the most interesting trees have stood the test of time, weathered all kinds of conditions outside, and survived natural expansion of land reclamation.
This creepy castle sets itself between the realm of today and tomorrow! This piece was painted using Clip Studio Paint. It was a line drawing to begin with and then layered with a mix of water color and inks.
This was inspired by looking at some pictures of Irish castles and then some traditional views of Count Dracula’s castle.