Wave Rider

 

 

This was inspired by the increased size of the waves as a storm approached. It was easy to visualize someone riding the top of the waves (not me) as they pushed to the shore with ever increasing momentum. The sky was dark and the air was hot and muggy as the storm grew closer.

This image was created with only three pens. One was a brush pen filled with India ink and the other two pens used were a medium and thin black prisma pens. The two smaller pens provided just enough detail for the piece while the thicker brush pen helped create the weight of the clouds and the water.

Contour lines were used again to create the sense of movement across the waves as they moved toward the beach. Where the waves were the fullest at the top, shadows were filled in to give the appropriate weight they needed.

Some speed lines were added at the end to give the surfer the appearance of speed as he moved through the waves.

Total time spent creating this piece was about an hour and half. I used very quick broad arm strokes as I drew not worrying about each individual line. Both the water and the sky was developed at the same time so that the piece was equally balanced on top and bottom with dark shapes.

The sky was developed also using horizontal lines to give varying degrees of mass to the clouds. Some clouds were more transparent than others so by spreading my lines apart, I was able to give more of a translucence to the clouds. The closer lines help provide the shadow.

 

Daddy Daughter Picture

This was a picture that my daughter Rylie and I drew together while sitting outside at the beach one day. She started with a very loose pencil sketch of her idea and spent about 10 minutes on the subject and composition. I then went back over her pencils with a fine inking pen to solidify the piece and used the same amount of time.

At the end this completed drawing turned out as a nice exercise for both of us. A total of 20 minutes spent on a rather quick drawing of what could be a very nice day out on the ocean.

 

Bunker Response Team

This is an image design I put together recently which can be easily applied for T-Shirts and or other options. This was created using Clip Studio Paint with a multilayer process. I find that Clip Studio Paint is my choice for drawing almost anything digitally. I like the flexibility that it offers.

I began the design by building the frame of the shield first using a curve tool and polyline tool in tandem. Once I got the lines where they needed to be, I then locked the layer so I didn’t accidently select and change it.

The next layer I made was the text layer which was created first in Microsoft PowerPoint and then exported into Clip Studio Paint as a .jpg file. I was then very easily able to manipulate the text where it needed to be within the shield. While I think Clip Studio Paint has a lot of capability for script text in comics, I have a hard time using the text tool for anything else.

After my text was layed in, the next layer was the skull itself. I drew it using a pen tool and specifically, the for effect line tool. This gave the skull a nice thick to thin line and added nicely to the character of the piece.

Now for the colors. The last part of the project was the colors. I did these as separate layers as well. I should have created layer folders for each but I instead gave each layer it’s own layer in one large folder.

The first color I applied were the flats of the shield. These were then saved and locked. I then selected the flats after creating a new layer to do the fine lines, detailing, and shadows. The selection tool allowed me to detail these areas without having to “go outside the lines”.

Finally, I did the same process for the Skull and added a generic flag. the glow on the Skulls eye was creating using the urchin tool. Prior to having the client approve the piece, I added a 35% fade. This is a cool effect which allows the shirt design to better blend into the color of the T-Shirt. It helps to know what color shirt you will place this on prior to colorization though. A quick background layer also provides the blending necessary so you don’t end up with a box around the design on the shirt. I save my files as high resolution 6000 x 6000 350 dpi .png files.

If you have any questions, please let me know.